Oops... I Arted!

On this weblog I will post cartoon strips, drawings, one panel cartoons, sketches, and updates on the Lubbock comics community. I hope to get feedback, increase my artistic skills, and get 'those' ideas out of my head. Feel free to critique me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States

There I sat all broken hearted,
tried to draw but only Arted.
Now I choose not to sweat it,
I can Art and not regret it.

Monday, August 09, 2004

Silent Subculture II

Here's the second one. I found that there are only 2 women characters in Beetle Bailey. I've also discovered that the artist never seems to use 'full' or 3/4's perspective.


Click Image to View Strip

So far this is my favorite of these strips.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...I don't like posting anonymously but since I don't have account, I will have to. This is Jessica, the really talkative girl with the cane usually in a black Hatebreed hoodie that loves the store. I love the silent-subculture strips....they are so ironically true that it makes you wonder if those sub-cultures are truly that different. I especially like this one, its great. Your other comics are quite humorous (actually I almost fell out of my chair laughing on that dryer one) the only thing I can critique you on is basically you need a more uniform style of writing text but keep in mind that free-handed text adds a sense of character to your comic unfortunetly it may interfere with readablitly or whatever...try drawing blocks with a ruler and each block is one letter wide. Measure your already hand-written text's height, width, and diagonally across then average the measurements. Just use one of your other comics you have posted for these measurements. Draw your blocks with those measurements in mind. The averaged measurements allow some freedom and error. If the letter doesn't fill the block up then modify that letter and the same if it overfills the block. Next time when I'm at the store, I could show you what I mean but its only a few of the comics that need this modification....the rest are pretty good. Actually the dryer comic was very very good text-wise. Keep up the hilarious work...I likes alot...

4:58 PM  
Blogger Badkins said...

Thanks for the comment Jessica, I'll try it out.

Yeah lettering has been one of the biggest areas I need work on. I switched to using computer lettering for effect mostly (like in the "Fam-Damily" cartoon) to emulate the style of that cartoon.

In the research I've been doing, I've found that when submitting single panel cartoons you don't do any type-setting for it at all(except the copyright). You simply write it out exactly as it should be printed on the same page as the cartoon on the bottom of the page.

I believe I will switch to this style, so in the future you will see the caption hand lettered, a bit further away from the panel.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home