Oops... I Arted!

On this weblog I will post cartoon strips, drawings, one panel cartoons, sketches, and updates on the Lubbock comics community. I hope to get feedback, increase my artistic skills, and get 'those' ideas out of my head. Feel free to critique me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States

There I sat all broken hearted,
tried to draw but only Arted.
Now I choose not to sweat it,
I can Art and not regret it.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

This isn't supposed to be a personal blog....

But, tonight at about 10:00pm my Granny Branch passed away in her home. Everythings being handled by my Mom's family, there's nothing for me to do but wait till tomorrow. I felt I should do something. So I'm writing about it.

I just wanted you to know why I'll probably be a bit slower on posting for this week.

Granny had been in bad health for some time and we knew it was just a matter of time. This last weekend, she had a party. All the family was invited to come over for food and ice cream. Each of us put our order in and got a pint of the ice cream we wanted from one of those places that uses a stone counter to mix the ice cream. We talked, joked, and watched the Olympics. She was pretty much confined to the bed, so most of us gathered in her smallish bedroom. It was a good day.

Granny died much like she lived, I think. She did it on her own terms. When a rotten tree branch fell on my Mom's roof, she didn't wait until me and my brother got over there to take it down. My Granny climbed up on that roof and started without us! (This was just a few years ago.) Granny didn't want to die in a hospital hooked up to a bunch of machines. So, she decided to stay at home. She had the best non-invasive medical attention there was, my Mom and Aunt Josie (who are nurses).

I'd better stop typing before I take up a whole page. Sorry for dumping all of this on the blog, but I guess I needed to. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing I can say... except to send my condolances.
Hope you guys are doing all right.

Stefan

4:39 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Brandon- I really, really, (and I stress this) reaaaaalllly don't want to make light of something like death... I'm very sorry for you and your family... not having had a grandparent in my life, I also envy the fact that you have memories of time with someone so wonderful... but... you called her "Granny Branch". Was this her first name or last name? Because I couldn't help but wonder, if that was her first name, how in the world she ended up with such a name. (Ok, I hang my head in shame for asking such a silly question.) ;) -Alisha-

5:05 PM  
Blogger Badkins said...

Stefan: Thank you, we're all doing pretty good. There are times we smile and times we cry. Usually we do this at the most unexpected things... so it is.

Alisha: No offense taken. Her real first name was Ruth, but ever since I was little she had always been "Granny" or "Granny Branch" to me. (btw Branch was my Grandpa's famliy name.) Thank you for the question.

I'd also like to thank everyone who has given their condolences in person. Things are beginning to get back in to swing for me, and I hope soon to have some more 'funnies' for everyone, so keep checking back.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I'm sure knowing it was coming doesn't make her death hurt any less. I never know what to say when someone dies, so I'll shut up now. You have my condolences.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Badkins said...

It is hard to find something to say to someone who is facing a loss. We each experience loss, and grief in a diffenent way, so one person's idea of comforting someone, may be the completely wrong thing to say.
For me, as long as it is said out of compassion, it helps.

I really appreciate all the compassionate people who have entered my life. And who have left comments. Thanks.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home